Success at last.  Thanks for the help and guidance to find the correct solution.

I noticed a few new parameters have crept into the auto backup function and
there is no location where all of these things are brought together for a user
to find.

I agree with Unadecal Arado  the feature to select a specific time would be a
good addition.  I restart my regions daily at 4 am, and sometimes more often
than that.

“It would be great if we had a key called AutoBackupTime = hh:mm, which
schedules a backup for hh:mm no matter what is set, and then at
AutoBackupInterval after that. This way, OAR generation might be more
predictable at longer intervals.”

If I know how to update the wiki or better yet the opensim page found by
Googling “opensim autobackup” with this information, I believe this function of
opensim would be a much simpler function to implement.

I have added this to my .ini file so in the future I can easily make changes
without going through dozens of trial and error operations.

;    Configuration Settings
; Global (in OpenSim.ini under [AutoBackupModule] section)
AutoBackupModuleEnabled: True/False. Default: False. If False, every function
in the module is as no-op as possible: just return as soon as realizing that
we're not enabled. Otherwise it will try to get as far as it can with auto
backup for each region.
; Global (in OpenSim.ini) or Per-Region (in Regions/Regions.ini under the
region's name's section)
; IMPORTANT: Settings declared per-region in Regions/Regions.ini override
settings in OpenSim.ini. Settings in OpenSim.ini, in turn, override hard-coded
defaults.  AutoBackup: True/False. Default: False. If True, activate auto
backup functionality. This is the only required option for enabling
auto-backup; the other options have sane defaults. If False, the auto-backup
module becomes a no-op for the region, and all other AutoBackup* settings are
ignored.
; AutoBackupModuleEnabled: True/False. Default: False. If False, every function
in the module is as no-op as possible: just return as soon as realizing that
we're not enabled. Otherwise it will try to get as far as it can with auto
backup for each region.
; AutoBackupInterval: Integer, non-negative value. Default: 720 (12 hours). The
number of minutes between each backup attempt. If a negative or zero value is
given, it is equivalent to setting AutoBackup = False.
; AutoBackupBusyCheck: True/False. Default: True. If True, we will only take an
auto-backup if a set of conditions are met. These conditions are heuristics to
try and avoid taking a backup when the sim is busy.
; AutoBackupScript: String. Default: not specified (disabled). File path to an
executable script or binary to run when an automatic backup is taken. argv[1]
of the executed file/script will be the file name of the generated OAR. If the
process can't be spawned for some reason (file not found, no execute
permission, etc), write a warning to the console.
; AutoBackupNaming: string. Default: Time.  One of three strings (case
insensitive):
;  "Time": Current timestamp is appended to file name. An existing file will
never be overwritten.
;  "Sequential": A number is appended to the file name. So if RegionName_x.oar
exists, we'll save to RegionName_{x+1}.oar next. An existing file will never be
overwritten.
;  "Overwrite": Always save to file named "RegionName.oar", even if we have to
overwrite an existing file.
; AutoBackupDir: String. Default: "." (the current directory). A directory
(absolute or relative) where backups should be saved. If the path is not a
directory, or insufficient permissions are available, a warning will be printed
to the console and no backups will be taken.
; AutoBackupDilationThreshold: float. Default: 0.5. Lower bound on time
dilation required for BusyCheck heuristics to pass.  If the time dilation is
below this value, don't take a backup right now.
; AutoBackupAgentThreshold: int. Default: 10. Upper bound on # of agents in
region required for BusyCheck heuristics to pass.  If the number of agents is
greater than this value, don't take a backup right now.
; AutoBackupKeepFilesForDays: int. Default: 0.
;   1) number of days to keep backups (0 the default value will disable this
option).
;   2) After each backup, remove all oars in the backup directory that are
older than the specified number of days.
;    note: if the user set the bin directory as the backup location, only oar
files are removed. There is no way to know if an oar was created by
auto-backup, or manually created or uploaded. It is not recommended to use the
bin directory for your auto backups for this reason.

; Example:
;[AutoBackupModule]
;    AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
;    AutoBackup = true
;    AutoBackupInterval = 30
;    AutoBackupBusyCheck = false
;    AutoBackupThreshold = 1
;    AutoBackupSkipAssets = false
;    AutoBackupKeepFilesForDays = 30
;    AutoBackupNaming = Time
;    AutoBackupDir = /var/opensim/backup/test/

Tom