These questions to me frame the entire set of problems for any
existing packaging system that tries to integrate with a native one or
when you have a 3rd party providing the packages instead of the
original project.

On 6/29/05, Keith M Wesolowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - If new packages are added in existing consolidations, how should
> they be named?  Where is the registry that prevents conflicts?

Having a central package registry where definitive names could be
defined that all packagers should use regardless of which system
they're packaging for would be a nice start to helping solve
dependency, package replacement, or package upgrade issues.

> - How do you prevent the situation in which multiple packages could
> satisfy a dependency but they have different names?  Conversely, how
> would you prevent the existence of incompatible packages with the same
> names?

This seems to be an age old problem that no one has yet solved. After
having spent years working with different packaging systems and
reading various philosophies posted by others I don't think there is a
golden bullet solution to this problem. As long as humans are the ones
packaging software, each one of them will tend to do things
differently, because obviously their own way is better ;)

For example, some RPM based Distributions have progname,
progname-devel, and progname-debug for almost every program. Where the
first is the program, the second is development headers and devel
specific libraries or tools, and the third is debug information that
can be additionally installed when so desired. Yet other distributions
only have progname, and bundle development headers, debug info and
everything into one item.

Then of course comes the naming conventions as you mentioned, they
love to prefix all of their packages with special initials, and use a
different versioning scheme than others so that even when you're using
the same package format the system goes crazy trying to figure out
what to do when you attempt upgrades. Then of course some people will
never conform to a universal set of rules, they have their own
packages, their own directory structure, and to heck with complying
with any type of rules.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/