Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You can save all of us a lot of trouble by reading the POSIX
> specification for how a POSIX compliant shell is supposed to work
> here:
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/sh.html
>
> You may not understand or agree with it, but the great thing about it
> is that you can change your default shell if you don't like it. You
> can even make your own OpenSolaris distribution where bash is the
> default. In the meantime, leave the rest of us in peace.

Let me add that he will get into trouble if he will make /bin/sh a link
to bash because of compatibility problems in bash (one really bad one is
that bash does jobcontrol for shell scripts although this is completely
wrong).

POSIX only requires a system to include a POSIX compliant shell named "sh"
that needs to be in a directory that is found first with

PATH=`getconf PATH`

Solaris has this POSIX compliance, Linux doesn't. Note that is does not
help that in the case of Linux, the default /bin/sh may be a bit closer
to the POSIX requirements than /bin/sh is on Solaris.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/