Alan:

Yes, we ship GDM2 with Solaris.  CDE login is the default login program
in Solaris.  I'm not sure what login you get in OpenSolaris by default.
Command line. (OpenSolaris is simply the release of the Solaris ON
consolidation source code so far.   No X.   There's also not anyone out
there really running something you can call "OpenSolaris" - they are
running either Solaris Express or Schillix, which are OpenSolaris plus
more bits from other places - in the case of Solaris Express, many more
bits.)

The JDS team is working to provide the CBE and the Sun patches needed to
build the desktop, so is it similarly straightforward for someone to
build the Xserver for Solaris?  Does the Xserver team apply patches,
use nondefault build options, or otherwise modify the Xserver code we
build that we should share with OpenSolaris users?

Brian