On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 21:54, Chad Delaney wrote:
> Has anyone heard of any issues with BSM and reallocating sizes to other
> slices? When trying to add a new slice so I can put the state database
> replicas on the slice of the main hard drive, and set the second hard drive
> as a mirror. The problem I keep running into is it will not allow me to
> reallocate for a new slice, the hard drive number 0 has data on it already
> including BSM enabled. The hard drive 1 was just ordered so I could do a
> mirror, however whether I try to place the state database replicas even on
> that drive it will not allow me to do anything. I have read that if signed in
> as root that I should be able to change volume management without issue of
> BSM.
> I'm using Solaris 9 9/04.

This isn't really a support alias for Solaris it is for OpenSolaris
discussion.  It is best you ask your question on comp.unix.solaris or on
one of the forums of sun.com/bigadmin.

It seems that you have some confusion (not surprising really) between
the volume management: vold(1m) and LVM: Logical Volume Management.

vold(1m) is removable media support.  bsmconv(1m) turns this off for
accountability reasons as the current vold doesn't properly audit it and
doesn't interact with allocate(1m).  This is being resolved for in the
future.

LVM is software RAID, it has also gone by the names, Disksuite, ODS, SDS
(and I'm sure others) over the years but it is the same software.

Your mail has terminology from both different volume management
frameworks.  Running bsmconv(1m) will not have any impact on LVM, unless
you were trying to build RAID devices our of removable media.

--
Darren J Moffat