On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 15:20 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Erast Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > let me clarify a little bit on what GNU/Solaris distro is.
>
> Thank you!
>

> > The idea behind it is simple: do not re-invent the wheel and try to
> > re-use existing 17000 high quality Debian packages, Debian
> > infrastracture(read Dpkg, APT repositories, Debootstraps, installation
> > program, utilities, developer's policy and so on) and Debian developer's
> > if you will.
>
> It depends on how we define "re-invent the wheel"
>
> I try to avoid to re-invent the wheel for SchilliX by not using a different
> package system than the one used by Solaris and I don't try to replace
> standard UNIX tools by GNU clones.

Well, this is the idea behind of GNU/Solaris: to be as much GNU centric
as possible, but do not break sunw* core. GNU/Solaris trying to find
gold middle and trying to do it right.

> As a result of the missing pkg system, I need to wait and to create a simple
> intermediate method for packaging.
> In addition, I look at the quality of the debian packages and I see that
> Debian publishes a version of cdrtools that is broken because of the patches
> that are applied by Debian. For this reason, I believe that it may be similar
> with other tools and the only way to have guaranteed quality is to create
> your own compile environment for the free software you linke or need to
> package
> together with OpenSolaris.
> > GNU/Solaris distribution uses OpenSolaris kernel and runtime(libc). So,
> > it runs any existing Solaris software without modifications.
> > In addition to that(and this is what differes it from SchiliX and
> > BeliniX), it greatly simplifies porting effort for pure Linux
> > applications and packages, since it provides real Debian environment.
>
> And how do you include these Debian packages?
> If you put them into /usr/bin, you will overwrite existing standard UNIX tools
> and then you will not be able to benefit from e.g. smf because you are forced
> to use the "init" process that Debian uses on Linux.
>

> > If you would like to get guest password and participate in further
> > development you could send me a request e-mail.
>
> If you are willing to participate in further SchilliX development, I would
> be happy to help your project too.....

virtually, all our distros based on the same core bits - sunw*. We are
planning quite a bit of work there. So, all these beginnings, (i.e.
SchiliX, BeliniX) are very good for overall progress. After all, thanks
to GPL/CDDL. It forces/stimulates developers to exchange patches between
the projects.

We will launch "pilot" GNU/Solaris developer's program by the end of
this week. So, if you didn't get invitation yet, send e-mail to me, and
hold your breath a little longer. Thank you.

Erast