On 11/26/05, Robert Glueck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My thanks to everyone for their replies - this has been an
> instructive discussion.
>
> More questions:
>
> 1. What are the resource requirements for all this wonderful
> Solaris 10 software to work and perform reasonably well?
> Is it all available for x86 systems?  Does it require a
> 64-bit dual or quad processor system, 4 GB of RAM and a 200
> GB HDD?  Or would it all work on a 1.8 GHz Intel Celeron
> single processor system with 512 MB of RAM?  E.g. is the
> power of the zones technology fully available on such a
> low-powered desktop system?

Solaris Express ( with new grub based boot) requires 256MB of ram, i
have ran it on systems as old as a  p2-450 its still usuable though
gnome does add its own requiements. The most important part is to
check  that nics and sound drivers are availible. That information can
be found at

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl

A full install of Solaris requires about 7GB of disk space. 3rd party
and most freeware software will need more.

> 2. And what about documentation?  Are good tutorials
> available for Solaris newbies covering the unique aspects
> of Solaris 10, or do you have to be a long time, seasoned
> Solaris sys admin to catch on to these Solaris esoterica?
> I found the Sun Solaris 10 User's Guides and Sys Admin
> Guides to be pretty dense on these subjects.

http://docs.sun.com is the official sun doc's site

my blog has lots of good links in  the quick solaris links section

http://uadmin.blogspot.com/2005/03/solaris-links.html

you can also join  #opensolaris on freenode.net to ask questions interactively.

> 3. So far the discussion has only been about Solaris 10 or
> OpenSolaris.  What about new distros such as Nexenta and
> BeleniX that retain only the Solaris kernel and core
> libraries?  Pure Solaris is renowned for its stability;
> part of the reason presumably is the fact that Sun Q/A
> applies to every single aspect of the entire OS.  Does this
> quality and stability necessarily carry over into a hybrid
> OS with Solaris kernel and GNU utilities, applications,
> etc.?  Potentially such an OS could be incredibly buggy and
> unstable, completely negating the advantages of a very
> stable Solaris kernel, couldn't it?  Can such a hybrid
> indeed be made as stable as Solaris itself?

each will have there own chareristics... while they all have the same
kernel and base tools. But they will each have to deal there own
security problems outside of the kernel and combined packages. Check
each site for more details on that.

James Dickens
uadmin.blogspot.com