Michael Pogue wrote:
I'm not suggesting a new OpenSolaris Project, although that
would certainly be one way to do it.  I'm just suggesting a Google
Summer of Code project.

Ok, that seems reasonable. It doesn't have to be tied to something we already have set up.

If it ends up being just one Summer of Code student that takes this on,
then a full-blown OpenSolaris Project for one person might be overkill.
Instead, maybe that student could be participant in a thread in the OpenSolaris
Tools community, or perhaps the Performance community (or both).

Yes, I think we'll have to write up some instructions for these guys to get involved. I'll start on that.

Jim

Jim Grisanzio wrote:

Michael Pogue wrote:

I have a suggestion: in another current thread, "Build times for Open Solaris", there's discussion about build parallelism on a Niagara (T1000), and how we don't get much benefit in build time beyond 4 CPUs.

I think that it would be a great Summer of Code project, to investigate what it would take to get full utilization (32 CPU's) on a T1000 building Open Solaris. And then, contribute the changes back to OpenSolaris, speeding up the build process for everybody (who has access to multi-cpu hardware).

So, in this instance, you are suggesting an entirely new project, correct? If so, a new project will have to be proposed and seconded. Is this something you are proposing?

In addition to suggestions for new projects, I'm especially interested in hearing from our existing projects to see what they plan to offer.

Thanks, Mike.

Jim

It wouldn't require deep knowledge of the internals of Solaris, so the barrier to entry is not high. And, it's a chance to play around with some really cool hardware (pun intentional :-).

Mike

Jim Grisanzio wrote:

hey, guys.

Google has announced its 2006 Summer of Code:
http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

This is the second summer where Google has engaged student developers worldwide to participate on a variety of open source projects under this mentoring program. OpenSolaris has applied to be one of those mentoring communities. It's a great way for us to contribute to the greater open source community, while at the same time providing us the opportunity to meet new developers -- especially students -- in new areas. See the details (especially question #2) about mentoring: http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html

With more than 40 communities and more than 20 projects I think we have more than enough to offer as this point. I'd like to get a thread started here for possible project ideas. We need to act quickly if we want to participate, though.

My initial thought: I think the easiest way to participate is for the OpenSolaris project owners http://www.opensolaris.org/os/projects to be mentors (or identify mentors) to these new student developers. Perhaps we could flush out some ideas in this thread and then the interested projects/owners can mock up their project pages with a Summer of Code section with some items the students can work on. We can then add a box to the front page directing Summer of Code students to those participating projects.

That part is easy. The question is this, though: are there any OpenSolaris projects interested in engaging these students in Google's Summer of code? If so, let's talk about what we could offer. I'll collect the ideas and feed them into our application process.

Please feel free to forward to any list you think appropriate.

Best,

Jim