* Eric Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-06-29 15:12]:
> Rainer Orth wrote:
> >>* Therefore, an alternative model would be to use the storage community
> >>(given that block and object based storage are getting closer recently,
> >>cf. the object storage devices work for SCSI) as an umbrella for both
> >>block-based storage (e.g. iscsi, svm projets, maybe others?) and
> >>filesystems (with the projects mentioned above).
> >
> >i.e. create a generic Filesystems community and grandfather the existing
> >FS-related communities as projects, maybe adding more related projects at
> >the same time.
>
> While I agree, there is the not-so-small problem that there currently is
> no mechanism in the charter to "grandfather" communities into other
> communities demoting them to projects in the process. Moreover, the
> communities being absorbed would have to agree to this occurring... and
> defining exactly what "agree" means for an entire community is a bit of a
> dilemma.
>
> The end result of all of this is I don't expect to see any community
> restructuring soon, because it's sufficiently difficult to drive any sane
> person away. :/

  Actually, the process given in

  http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/click.jspa?searchID=102657&messageID=29222

  (which allows any opensolaris.org member to raise the issue to the
  Board) was adopted by the Board.

  As of yet, neither the Board nor a member has requested that the
  process be applied to any community.  I don't think there would be any
  harm in proposing a filesystems community, and seeing which specific
  filesystems communities are willing to self-demote as well--you just
  have to have the discussion with the various leads.

  Comments on the charter/constitution would best be shared on
  cab-discuss, since that's where the Working Group is having its
  discussions.  You might also look at

  http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Governance

  to see related documents, subsequent drafts, etc.

  - Stephen

--
Stephen Hahn, PhD  Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/