Roland Mainz wrote:

>>Exclusively from a shell script, no C?
>>

>Yes...
>

>>Can't you analyse the files in /etc directly then?
>>

>No, because in the case that the matching entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf
>contain more than "files" you need nameservice-specific calls, one for

I finally get your question.

>YP, one for NIS,

I thought YP (yellow pages) and NIS were the same (or that NIS was
derived from YP) ?

> one for NIS+, one for LDAP etc. - and you would have to

ok ok, clear now.

>care about the lookup order and fallback behaviour if a nameservice is
>down etc. etc. ...

yes, I begin to remember my exam prep 2 years ago ... (Network and
Security Exams)

>... that's why I was thinking to extend /usr/bin/getent

I just reread the man page.

>to include these
>items if they are not available via other ways.
>

>>Which other tools can be expected to be present
>>

>Just the shell...

Weren't there commands (specific for each NS) returning those values?

>>Under which user or role will the script run (root) ?
>>

>It should work with any user...

"Normal" users with limited privileges may naturally have no - or
limited - access.
Didn't you find any help in the man pages for NIS, NIS+ and LDAP?

-Martin