-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Wes
Williams
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:26 AM
To: opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: [osol-discuss] Re: GPLv3?

>> More importantly I see no statement of what problem we are actually
>> trying to solve by using a license other than the
>> CDDL.   Exactly how is
>> the CDDL not working for us ?  What do we really expect to gain by
>> using a GPL license as well as or instead of CDDL ?
>>
>> --
>> Darren J Moffat

> Here, here!

> As Darren already stated, [b]what's the problem with the CDDL and what
does the OpenSolaris project hope to > > accomplish by changing the
current license? [/b]

Linux and current GPL developers are less reluctant to adopt Open
Solaris as a viable development platform because of the FUD behind the
CDDL.

> As the common quote goes, "Solaris isn't Linux", so why try to hide
this wolf in a sheep's clothing?

So Sun can attract more outside development

> What specifically is to be gained by adopting licenses with other GPL
projects?
Developers, Developers, Developers.

> Simplicity?  Is that it?  If that is the case, this reminds me why I
prefer Solaris to that other popular GPL > OS...simple is often dumb.