Shawn Walker wrote:
On 2/1/07, Bonnie Corwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Look at:

http://opensolaris.org/os/about/no_source

This page has been available since shortly after the launch in June 2005.

I had seen that page before, but I didn't remember how to get back to
it. How exactly does one navigate to that page through the website?

At the moment, the only link is from the Site Map page ("OpenSolaris Components Currently Not Released as Source"). Obviously not obvious or easy to find.

Shouldn't that be more prominent somewhere like on the front page with
a note saying something like:

"The source for some items will likely remain unavailable. Please help
the community by re-implementing these items: *link to no_source*."

Good idea. I'll see about getting a link from one of the Nevada pages since this is a list of ON code.

Maybe not too, but I couldn't figure out how to navigate to that page.
Maybe I'm more blind than I already am.

Some drivers were held back originally at launch simply because I ran
out of time.  Some have been moved to usr/src; others are waiting for
resources.

Understandable.

We have continually and consistently said that we will open source all
the code we legally can.  That is exactly what we're doing.  And that
tells you why something is not available.

But it doesn't really tell us why, it just tells us it isn't available.

I don't know how to say this any other way. We have said all that we can say. We are open sourcing everything we legally can. Therefore, if we aren't open sourcing something, it's because there is an issue beyond our control.

Thanks.

Bonnie

Re: the suggestion for a 'pending review' list.  We can not do that.  We
can only say either that something is coming when the only thing it's
waiting on is engineering resources or that we have no plans to open
source the associated code.  Perhaps that's not good enough, but it's
the best we can do.

If that's all you can do, then that's all you can do. If the page you
pointed at is kept up to date to reflect as much as you can indicate,
that will have to be good enough. Thanks for doing what you can
though.

Bonnie