* Eric Boutilier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-02-23 09:56]:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Stephen Hahn wrote:
> >* Laszlo (Laca) Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-02-22 18:29]:
> >>So the /usr/gnu proposal[1] was approved by PSARC.  Obviously, the
> >>reason for defining /usr/gnu wasn't theoretical -- it allows moving
> >>GNU packages from /usr/sfw to /usr or /usr/gnu and it helps us
> >>integrating more GNU packages into Solaris.  We have already seen
> >>the first few putbacks (m4, bison).
> >>
> >>The JDS team (well, Dermot ;) is working on adding more packages
> >>(mostly the tools required for building JDS).  Obviously, it's easier
> >>for us to deliver these through the JDS consolidation.  However, they
> >>really don't belong there.  Neither do some of the packages we already
> >>deliver into Solaris, like Python, libpng, libogg, etc.
> >>
> >>I think the GNU Solaris community would be a perfect place for these,
> >>if it wasn't a community but a project (or a consolidation?).
> >>I propose that we launch a project that aims for creating a repository
> >>of spec files that follow the /usr/gnu rules.  Sun could pick the
> >>packages that we want to integrate into Solaris and support, other
> >>packages could be available from opensolaris.org with community support
> >>only.
> >>
> >>How does this relate to:
> >>
> >>SFW: If proven successful, it would gradually phase out SFW.  The idea
> >>     is that this repository would be more inclusive (i.e. not only
> >>     supported Solaris packages) and easier to contribute to than SFW.
> >>
> >>CCD: Again, if proven successful, supersedes it.  One big difference is
> >>     that the CCD installs to /opt, while this repository would install
> >>     to /usr.
> >>
> >>SFE: We have 200+ spec files written by various Sun and non-Sun
> >>opensolaris
> >>     community members here:
> >>     http://pkgbuild.svn.sf.net/viewvc/pkgbuild/spec-files-extra/trunk/
> >>     Those that satisfy the /usr/gnu criterion of being listed in
> >>     the FSF/UNESCO free software directory can be moved into the
> >>     new repository (after some clean-up and testing).
> >
> > I'm puzzled why it wouldn't be appropriate to just adjust SFW to take
> > either classic-SFW or pkgbuild spec files as part of its build
> > process.  There's a project, a C-team with knowledge about freeware
> > dependencies (that I'm sure would be happy to take on members), and an
> > ongoing effort to change its processes.
> >
> > That is, why not just merge CCD, SFE, and SFW into a "freeware"
> > consolidation that delivers appropriately to /usr, /usr/gnu, and
> > elsewhere, and allow multiple build approaches?
> >
> > (Just, please, don't tell me you wanted to avoid discussions that
> > might involve compromise...)
>

> In other words, adjust the opensolaris.org sfwnv project to be a repository
> that implements multiple build systems, and that feeds into the the Nevada
> SFW and JDS consolidations and the Solaris 10 Companion CD.
>
> That does seem to make more sense.

  I don't think I'd force any consolidations together.  JDS functions
  quite well, in my opinion.  The CCD, on the other hand, has served its
  purpose and (for Solaris) a reexamination of its role vis-à-vis SFW
  and JDS is probably overdue.

  - Stephen

--
Stephen Hahn, PhD  Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/