On 14/03/07, Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Shawn Walker wrote:
> On 13/03/07, vuthecuong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Solaris have many editions:
>> - Solaris Express, Community Edition
>> - Solaris Express, Developer Edition
>> - etc
>> -etc
>>
>> So wich version is mainly for critical mission server?
>
> Neither. The version you want for that is here:
>
> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

I very very strongly disagree, it is up to each individual to choose
what risks they want to take.  Do they want a newer release but with
less "official" 7x24 hour support or do they want a big vendor providing
7x24 hour support they can shout at ?

Yes, I know all that, but when someone says "mission critical" I tend
to assume that means the production release of Solaris only.

In addition, Sun even says on their own webpages that "Solaris 10" is
a "Fully supported distribution for production deployments". Whereas
the description for the other distributions is for "developers."

Inside Sun we run Community Edition on the server that is the home
directory server for almost all of the Menlo Park California campus.  It
gets updated to each Community Edition of Solaris Express as they come
out.  It doesn't get much more production than that.  If this machine
goes down it impacts engineers, marketing, managers home directories and
email, basically no work gets done.

It is not good for the community suggest that it is only a Sun Solaris
10 distribution that is good for production use.  Depending on your
needs for production Nexenta or some other OpenSolaris distribution
might be a much better choice.

I'm not implying that it is not ok to use SXDE, SXCE, etc. for
production use. I was merely responding to the key phrase "mission
critical." Production use is not always "mission critical" use.

I also question how you can recommend SXDE or SXCE for production use
given that security fixes and other updates are not available for
them? Would that not be important in a production environment?

In addition, I personally am not comfortable with using SXCE, for
certain, in a "production" environment. I upgrade on a fairly regular
basis, and I often have problems with new builds of SXCE on my 3rd
party or custom x86 hardware. As such, I can only speak based on my
own experience in this area.

While I am usually fairly happy with the SXCE and SXDE releases, I
question recommending them for a "production" and especially "mission
critical" environment.

--
"Less is only more where more is no good." --Frank Lloyd Wright

Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/