On 07/04/07, Chung Hang Christopher Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Doing a dist-upgrade for a new driver seems a bit of
> an overkill and
> highly unlikely. Do you have a better example?

Haha, well that was what I could come up with because
that is how I got the si3124 driver on Nexenta. Is
there a source tarball or a binary package for the
si3124 driver? Is it possible to just plug a si3124
driver into the version of the Solaris kernel that
comes with b50 on which nexenta alpha6 is based? That
is, does the b50 kernel have the sata framework
available? How am I supposed to find out this kind of
information besides bugging people on a list?

Yes. In fact, it's usually possible to use drivers that were created
for Solaris 8 or 9 with the newest versions of Solaris.

*Unlike* GNU/Linux, Solaris has a very stable and well-documented
driver API. This means that when your kernel changes, generally
speaking, your drivers don't have to either.

For example, the OSS drivers I installed on Solaris 10 Update 3 were
copied directly over the Solaris Developer Express b55, Solaris
Express Community Edition b60, and Solaris Express Community Edition
b61, and it worked on all of them...

But then, I do not know much about what is in a
certain Solaris kernel let alone how to compile one or
a driver (i guess this is documented on docs.sun.com?)

It depends on the individual driver. Usually it's as simple as make;
make install and maybe an update_drv run or two -- *if* it has be
compiled.

If it's already compiled for you, it's usually as easy as something
like running "pkgadd -d MYdriver.pkg".

--
"Less is only more where more is no good." --Frank Lloyd Wright

Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/