EXCELLENT! +1!
-dt

Ted Pogue wrote On 04/24/07 13:57,:

        Project Overview:

I propose the creation of a project on opensolaris.org, to bring to the community Solaris host-based data services; namely the Storage Archive Manager or SAM and the Solaris shared file system QFS. These data services exist today and are distributed commercially by Sun as the Sun StorageTek Storage Archive Manager and Sun StorageTek QFS shared file system. The software is delivered unbundled commercially for Solaris 9 and 10, but also is compiled for and runs on Open Solaris.

        Project Description:

Although SAM/QFS are positioned and marketed as two separate data services, they are really a single code base. SAM is the Storage Archive Manager component and consists of a policy based HSM. QFS is a shared or cluster file system for Solaris, and supports shared QFS Linux clients.

The QFS shared file system is a high-performance, 64-bit Solaris file system. This file system ensures that data is available at device-rated speeds when requested by one or more users. The QFS shared file system supports from 1 to 128 compute nodes to allow file sharing to scale with computational needs. QFS is ideally suited for Oracle RAC users and applications with a streaming I/O profile

SAM is tightly integrated with QFS, and adds the features of a storage archive manager to QFS. A SAM-QFS file system configuration allows data to be archived to and retrieved from local or remote automated tape libraries or disk at device-rated speeds. SAM manages QFS data online, nearline, and offline automatically and in a manner that is transparent to the user or application. Users read and write files to a SAM-QFS file system as though all files were on primary storage. In addition, SAM protects QFS file system data continually, automatically, and unobtrusively. Multiple file copies can be made to many media types and storage tiers in a standard OPEN format. This minimizes the requirement for traditional back-up only and provides fast disaster recovery in an effective long-term data storage solution. A SAM-QFS file system configuration is especially suited to data-intensive applications that require a scalable and flexible storage solution, superior data protection, and fast disaster recovery. This solution also includes an integrated non-mirroring volume manager for performance, automated and flexible policy management, and browser-based management tools.

        Community Involvement:

By open sourcing SAM and QFS software, we will enhance OpenSolaris as a storage platform. Those that adopt OpenSolaris will benefit from an open storage platform, while providing valuable feedback to the commercially distributed software sold and supported by Sun. We plan to develop our next release of SAM/QFS in the Open Source community, so we invite community feedback on our work in progress. We intend to make periodic (every few weeks) code drops to the project page for download by the community. The longer term strategy will be to migrate from CVS to Mercurial as a source control tool and make the repository part of the open source project. This will allow the community to comment on features and our code base as we work through the development phase of the next and future commercial releases of this software.Additionally, it will allow for community contributions.

A complete set of the Sun StorageTek SAM and Sun StorageTek QFS administration guides can be found at:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/QFS4_6
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/SAM4_6

Community Leaders:

Svati Chandra Narula
Ted Pogue
Harriet Coverston
Cindy Dyrness

SAM/QFS - New Solaris Storage Group

<http://www.sun.com/solaris>      *Don Traub*
Senior Engineering Manager, Solaris Data Technology
*Sun Microsystems, Inc.*
500 Eldorado Blvd., MS UBRM05-171
Broomfield, CO. 80021
Phone x41860/303-547-3537
Cell 303-888-0683
Fax 303-272-7736
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<http://www.sun.com/solaris>