On 8/2/07, Glen Wiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bart,
>
> You or Tim had mentioned the idea of being able to support "checkpoints"
> of some kind which would let more rigid environments take advantage of some
> of the more useful features with reduced risk.  Do you see motion in that
> direction?

The problem as I see it with checkpoints, is what happens if a custom runs
into a problem between the checkpoints? Bart wants to do away with "Dim Sum"
patching. How does Sun support problems that a custom runs into in between
checkpoints? IE: Do they go from a "testing" checkpoint to an intermediary
SXCE-latest "unstable" checkpoint?

Personally I would say that this is a valid support option. But it needs to
be made clear to the customer.

The biggest advantage of this is it would exercise the code earlier in the
release cycle. Sun might even subsidize this support model with a relatively
low support price, in exchange for customers testing newer code, and
accepting lower SLAs and support guarantees. (IE: No patching, wait for next
release with code fix, and upgrade to that release.

Cheers,
Brian