On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Bart Smaalders wrote:

> The likely outcome is that the change is file based, with file
> equivalence determined by a file-type specific comparison/hash.
> This allows us to handle cases where the file is alway different,
> but semantically the same.  Jar archives are a typical example here.

You know, I was thinking about this after I sent the message, and *think*
that snapshots would use the checksums under the covers, so it might be
possible to incorporate snapshots to do a very similar thing as at the
block level.

I was curious as I was talking last week with Olaf Manczak, and he had
been tossing around the idea of using the checksums to accomplish a
similar thing.

So, in the above scenario with Jar files, are you saying that they have
more than one file with the same name that would get installed depending
on the system? If so, is that done for optimization?

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group