On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Calum Benson wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 04:19 -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:
>
>> I do wonder why we need to have a different GNOME desktop? Well, I know
>> why we do it (i.e., JDS), but I'm not sure why we should. It only diverges
>> us from the mainstream, and makes things different. Seems better to
>> leverage the mainstream GNOME project to me, and be the same, the Ubuntu
>> uses a stock GNOME desktop, AFAICT.
>
> It doesn't really, Ubuntu have a whole ream of local patches just like
> we do, and other distros like SuSE have a lot more.  They arguably do a
> better job of getting theirs upstream, but they also have the advantage
> of being Just Another Linux.  It often takes longer to get the GNOME
> community to buy into Solaris patches, particuarly if they also happen
> to change the way things work on Linux.

Actually this is one of our advantages, IMO, that we're not just another
Linux distribution. We're a Solaris/OpenSolaris distribution and that in
itself needs to carry it's own clout.

>> It confuses me that zfs has been out for
>> about a year and a half and we don't see our desktop folks doing that type
>> of simple integration. Being able to take snapshots, list information on
>> zfs filesystems, or getting the status of a zpool, those are all things
>> that should be available for the user.
>
> I agree, and we have had people working on ZFS desktop integration
> prototypes on and off over the past couple of years.  But as always it's
> a question of resources and priorities, and as yet it just hasn't been
> made a high enough one for us to drive to completion.  (There's nothing
> that says Sun has to do the work, of course.)

Well, to give them credit, the zfs filesystem is not your average problem
to solve, Jeff Bonwick went out on a limb and tried to design and build
the worlds best filesystem. It will mature over time, but there's a lot of
interest, and I consider this to be the best thing that has gone back to
Solaris/OpenSolaris since S10. Remeber that zfs went into S10u2.

The only thing I would have done different given the limited resources in
engineering, would have been to license under the BSD 3 clause so that
anyone, any system, could have taken the code to incorporate into their
system, even Linux. It seems that will happen if Sun does GPL2 and/or GPL3
the OpenSolaris sources, and I don't know if they will do that, just that
they have mentioned that in the press.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group