On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:

>> Alan has already made references to the repeated discussion that has
>> happened with the legal team. There is no reason compelling enough for
>> a second opinion :-)
>
> Sorry, he did not. Please carefully read hs mail, it does not include
> any quote fom a lawyer. I hope he is going to correct his statement.
>
> Note that Eben Moglen (being a law professor) on the other side explains
> that this kind of code combination is OK.

What Eben Moglen often states is not what the community acts upon, and we
have to deal with the Linux community in regards to Linux, not Eben.

It could very well be that it is ok, but from our perspective we need to
have Sun legal go over everything we do, as Sun employees, it is not a
choice.

There's a chance that legal will say, "ah, it's fine to port ZFS to
Linux", but I doubt that as the Linux community hasn't done it, so they
obviously feel there is contention there between the licenses.

You seem pretty confident in your interpetation of the law, and maybe you
are spot on, I don't know. My interaction with the legal department has to
do with CDDL/GPL/BSD interaction.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group