The problem is not really just with Adobe Acrobat, it's also with the rest of
their product line. They have a great history of shooting themselves in the
foot with their own market. I have seen many, many content publishing companies
go through all sorts of grief with Adobe over software versions, cpu and
platform issues, and product interoperability. If it was just a Sun thing, well
it might be more special, but it's really not. Most of the trouble I've seen
has been on Mac's and Windows machines because they're what there is the most
of out there. For a long time, FrameMaker on sparc was like the best of breed
in word processing. People liked it because it was reliable and on Suns it
scaled, and was professional quality in it's publishing capacity.

I wish Adobe would get their act together but waiting on that isn't a good or
productive idea. The idea that they will manage to keep their act together on
Linux where they havn't necessarily done it in the past with every other OS is
sort of silly. Software development is often pretty fragile, and there's no
question Adobe's flailing in a lot of respects with platform coherence.

The sad thing about it is that they haven't identified and chosen appropriate
standards to follow that would solve this problem. The market has reacted to it
by making the 'save as pdf' option to create portability, instead of using
Adobe software for the same purpose.

I'd like to see Adobe do better with their support of applications in general
on Solaris, but I'd also like to see it happen across the board with every
major commercial unix, (including Linux, which is  quite the commercial unix
itself these days) as well as MacOS, & XP/Vista. I can't quite figure out why
they flail around with this but they do. It's not like any of the vendors out
there can't offer them reference platforms and support for them to do it with.
It's not rocket science to do it either. Which points at managerial
shortcomings pretty clearly, and there's little to be done about that.

Tim Scanlon