On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 10:58:53AM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Not true: OpenSolaris is not even a complete basic OS.

This has been a nagging concern for me for some time.

I find it somewhat uncomfortable that OpenSolaris (or rather, ON) is not
self-hosting.

The compiler isn't a big issue for me, but the contents of closed/ and
SUNWonbld definitely are; for one our codebase is somewhat of a lame
horse without them and for two it's a PITA to have to check for new
versions before building anything.

Questions:

1) Why isn't SUNWonbld in hg? [For instance, the ctf* tools are already
    in hg, so why aren't they just built as a build tool?]

2) Is there any mileage in cleanrooming the contents of closed/ (and
    anything in SUNWonbld that can't be opened now) ?

3) If so, how do I help or get this started?  [I obviously need someone
    with the sources, so it's no use telling me to just get started]

Ceri
                                                  -- Moliere