On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Robert William Fuller wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>  Hi Kyle,
>>
>>  given that what happens looks ever-so-slightly different each time, a
>>  hardware glitch could be possible; to exclude this, would you happen to
>>  know whether these panics occurred before build 78 as well ? If they occur
>>  if you use the b77 hsfs module on your post-b78 system ? Does the machine
>>  you're using have a history of hardware issues, or other symptoms that'd
>>  point at flaky hardware (such as e.g. ZFS block checksumming errors) ?
>
> Did anybody else notice they're all NULL pointer de-references???  It's
> probably not a hardware problem....  For example, if it's a memory problem,
> then you'll often see random pointers, but not 3 NULL pointers in a row....

They all look, from my first glance, like there's a vfs_t with a NULL
vfs_next field around.

By the codepath in HSFS, that's impossible if the mount succeeded, but
would be normal if it failed.

A HW glitch that could cause this would only need to corrupt the return
code from mount, register bitflips; You're right that won't be like an
obvious HW issue (and a flip of a pointer-with-many-bits-set to a NULL is
not how hardware problems usually manifest themselves). I'm not saying
it's that. Just saying my mind could come up with a mechanism that'd
explain it that way, which is not too-far-off.

Wouldn't explain "why now", and "why only in these codepaths".

FrankH.