C. wrote:
Lurie wrote:
and in the end, we have yet-another-package-manager.

while I agree with you on some of the points, I have to say that I love IPS and how it uses ZFS, if the code would have been based off some Linux package manager then the changes would never go upstream due to the lack of bootable clones/snapshots.
Do you have any clue how many patches Sun maintains for packages in onnv-gate that never go upstream? Anyway.. they say love is blind so it all seems fitting..

Do you know how many patches Sun maintains for packages that are never accepted by upstream because they don't agree with the design or implementation?

I can tell you with certainty that Sun works hard to ensure contributions go upstream, it's ultimately less work for them and less code to maintain.

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker