I'm frankly a little shocked by the some of the attitude against people wanting
existing tools that work on other platforms. There are plenty of reasons I use
OpenSolaris, primarily ZFS and managing very large scientific data sets. I have
no real other choice if I want file security and deduplication. So it's not as
though i can't manage a command line.

It's just a waste of time to learn new tools to do really mundane tasks---if
there's a way to get the existing tools to work. At its core, that's the reason
that the gnu tools are available, when the Solaris-based originals have similar
functionality but different options. No one wants to waste time learning new
things that just do what they already know how to do.

Can someone tell me how one can easily back up files from a dozen different
directories on different file systems, to a CD or DVD easily with a
command-line based tool? This strikes me as inherently difficult, and the
reason that they invented graphical file browsers in the first place. I don't
care much about Nero, but a CLI-only burning tool doesn't strike me as easy
when your starting files are spread out all over the place. (And no, I don't
want to make a separate folder with all of the files; or burn an .iso
first---all these steps take more time, and I just want to assemble the
relevant files in a window, and start the burn, and have it verify the data at
the end).

Forget about Nero, but in this day and age, there should be a decent graphical
burning tool (just as no one would argue we should get rid of Nautilus for file
browsing). The command-line just isn't the best tool for this job.