> On 17 Jul 2010, at 18:07, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> > One of the biggest problems with all of our
> community distros is that they are not compatible
> with IPS.  This problem is further complicated by the
> fact that Sun's own OpenSolaris distro does not allow
> multiple boot with other Solaris-based OS.
> >
> > Things probably would look very different if Sun's
> top management did not summarily ignore all of those
> community distros. Instead,
> > they "had to" hire a Linux has-been to create
> something that never received support from the
> Solaris old hands.
>
> I quite liked Ben Rockwood's take on IPS:
>
> http://www.cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=1125
>
> I can say that I used to hate IPS, but no more. It
> isn't perfect, but when you accept it and learn to
> work with it, it doesn't seem so bad.
>
> Alasdair.

One of the most distinguishing advantages of IPS which is also one of the best
selling points of OpenSolaris, is that, after you do an image-update to a newer
version of OpenSolaris, your current version will be persevered as one of the
dual-boot options during a reboot.  I know I have talked several Ubuntu users
to take a look at OpenSolaris exactly because of this ZFS-associated feature.

Nothing saddened me more than the fact that Stephen Hahn is no longer with the
OpenSolaris development team.  However, as honorable as Stephen is, I am sure
he has laid a solid foundation for IPS to move on and form the basis of the
Solaris.next.