Hello Everyone

I am rather new to solaris (i know just enough to be dangerous :/ ) but i am
trying to get sendmail to work properly with using smtp.gmail.com for relaying
over port 587 (My isp blocks 25). I am not entirely sure that it is even
possible without having to rebuild sendmail with the correct options (sasl?)

I am using a clean install of osol build 132.

I get as far as the below so i believe i have done something correct with the
sendmail.mc, client-info building the certs etc

Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)
WARNING: interface e1000g1 is UP with 0.0.0.0 address
xxxxx...@gmail.com... Connecting to smtp.gmail.com port 587 via relay...
220 mx.google.com ESMTP 23sm8670670iwn.15
>>> EHLO opensolaris.local
250-mx.google.com at your service, [70.74.206.XXX]
250-SIZE 35651584
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 PIPELINING
>>> STARTTLS
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
>>> EHLO opensolaris.local
250-mx.google.com at your service, [70.74.206.XXX]
250-SIZE 35651584
250-8BITMIME
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 PIPELINING
>>> MAIL From:<r...@opensolaris.local> SIZE=5
530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at
530 5.5.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14257
23sm8670670iwn.15
/root/dead.letter... Saved message in /root/dead.letter
Closing connection to smtp.gmail.com
>>> QUIT

Some information about sendmail package:
r...@opensolaris:~# sendmail -bt -d0.1
Version 8.14.4+Sun
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8
                MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS
                PIPELINING SCANF STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT
                XDEBUG
Warning: Option: AuthMechanisms requires SASL support (-DSASL)

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = opensolaris
  (canonical domain name) $j = opensolaris.local
         (subdomain name) $m = local
              (node name) $k = opensolaris

ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>

I can post the sendmail.mc if that would help

I have tried to get rid of sendmail and install ssmtp or postfix but they come
up with various compiler errors and warnings.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on how to fix this (step by step guide)
?