From: Bill Pringlemeir [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 11:59 AM
To: Praveen Dulam
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: VxWorks and OPEN SSL questions -

 Praveen> Hi I am building an openssl image on to the Vxworks plaform.
[snip]
 Praveen> My Priority is reduce the image size , as this is very
 Praveen> crtitical in RTOS. My Questions are : Crypto directory is

 Bill> This is more of an application question than development. The
 Bill> answer is quite simple. Add these compiler flags, for example,
 Bill> -DVXWORKS=1 -DGETPID_IS_MEANINGLESS -DNO_CHMOD -DNO_BF=1
 Bill> -DNO_MD4=1 \ -DNO_RC2=1 -DNO_RC5=1 -DNO_IDEA=1 -DNO_CAST=1
 Bill> -DNORIPEMD=1 -DNO_HMAC=1 \ -DNO_MDC2=1 -DNO_ERR=1 -Wall
[snip]

 Praveen> Bill I understand this.

 Praveen> The Open SSL Make files are not arranged well for the first
 Praveen> time users.  I could compile and run well on Linux platform.

 Praveen> I am doing the same for VxWorks, windows 2000 is my
 Praveen> development environment.  I am using this for Arm
 Praveen> processor. I use "ccarm".

 Praveen> I am trying to integrate in the make file. I don't to how to
 Praveen> set up the environment.  One way I could do is , physicall
 Praveen> create my own make file for each sub directories.

Please visit this URL,

  "http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxw_pt6.html#6.9";

Apparently someone name Bill Pringlemeir has ported OpenSSL to vxWorks
[so have people at Nortel and a few other places]. Another method is
to take all of the OpenSSL files and add them to a project.  This is
what I have did, after the Makefile.  PID_IS_MEANINGLESS, NO_CHMOD,
etc are relevant to vxWorks.  As described in the vxWorks FAQ, you can
use the Perl script and an NT configuration to produce a version of
OpenSSL that works with vxWorks.  Choose the option to not include
assembler.

One part is to take all of the Unix links and make copies of the files
(ARGH!).

A major part was to get an entropy collection agent.  I used WindML (a
graphics package) to collect user input from a keyboard and touch
screen device.  You need some good source of entropy to generate keys
well.  You can also use a file of random numbers, but I would not
recommend that.

My target was an ARM processor as well.  I have not optimized it for
this processor, through configuration, defines, or source code
modifications.  I didn't see anything specifically related to ARM.  I
know that the NetWinder has an ARM linux and that Russel King and
others are actively developing for ARM Linux.  If you find any ARM
specific OpenSSL code or configuration files, I would appreciated
knowing.  I was starting to do this when I got pulled off in another
direction...

hth,
Bill Pringlemeir.