From: Bill Pringlemeir [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 5:39 PM
To: Praveen Dulam
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: VxWorks and OPEN SSL questions -

 Praveen> Bill Thanks for the help. I am coming along with my
 Praveen> compilation on VxWorks platform.  I am struck when I am tryo
 Praveen> to compile the <crypto/bio> files. This is some to do with
 Praveen> openssl/e_os.h

 Praveen> When I removed the line <sys/params.h> from the e-os.h, then
 Praveen> I get error from bss_bio.c.

 Praveen> I am getting lost some where here.

[ Hopefully people on openssl-dev don't mind this discussion?  It
  seems slightly relevant. ]

I have made modification to e_os.h as follows,

    #if defined(WINDOWS) && !defined(__CYGWIN32__)
[...]
    #else
    #ifdef VXWORKS
    #  include <ioLib.h>
    #  include <sockLib.h>
    #  include <hostLib.h>
    #  include <sysLib.h>
    #  undef m_len
    #  undef BUFSIZE
    #  undef  DEVRANDOM
    #  define gethostbyname gethostname
    #endif
    #define get_last_socket_error()     errno
    #define clear_socket_error()        errno=0
    #define ioctlsocket(a,b,c)          ioctl(a,b,c)
    #define closesocket(s)              close(s)
    #define readsocket(s,b,n)           read((s),(b),(n))
    #define writesocket(s,b,n)          write((s),(b),(n))
    #endif

I don't know if they are really great or not.  All the compiler flag,
-DNO_XXX, must be used with your OpenSSL application as well.  Ie,
whatever it is that is using the OpenSSL library.

I had several problems with the BIO portion.  I examined peices of it
and removed some functions that didn't seem to make sense for my box.
For instance, I don't trust DNS, I don't have DNS, and I don't like
DNS (well, ok, maybe I do, but it is another port to attack).  So all
of the gethostbyname() calls were removed and we are using IP numbers
for all accesses.

My one patch to bss_bio.c is to add `#undef SSIZE_MAX' after the
e_os.h include.  vxWorks has a habit of polluting the namespace.  This
define in a vxWorks system header, but it means something completely
different.

If I am suppose to send this to some American government facility, I
will stop posting any more information.

hth,
Bill Pringlemeir.