On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Lutz Jaenicke via RT wrote:

>There will not be another release of 0.9.6 before 0.9.7 will be out.
>We still maintain the 0.9.6 tree, because we anticipate that due to
>incompatible changes between 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 several people will stay
>with 0.9.6x for some more time, so we are prepared to release another

    Perfectly understandable. btw. is there any list of those
    changes anywhere? Just thinking if there are some issues
    we should be aware of with PHP's openssl extension..

>The change that is required will break binary compatibility between 0.9.6d
>and 0.9.6e (because that's the purpose of the change :-). Even though
>we try to make clear that we don't promise binary compatibility, a lot

    Heh, of course.

>of people expect it. I am therefore a bit reluctant to make the change
>and will keep the issue as an "open ticket" in the request tracker, until
>0.9.6e becomes reality or some other member of the team makes a final
>decision.

    For me it's okay to close this. I've already told the people
    who reported this problem to bugs.php.net that this is fixed in
    openssl 0.9.7.. :)

    --Jani