On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:24:46PM +0200, Richard Levitte via RT wrote:

> [jaenicke - Tue Jul 30 22:25:20 2002]:
>
> > [[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Tue Jul 30 18:49:55 2002]:
> >
> > > Some of the files in the 0.9.6e tarball have restrictive
> permissions
> > > which prevent building and installing as different non-privileged
> > > users.
> > >
> > > -rw------- openssl/openssl  23853 Jul 30 11:06 2002 openssl-
> > > 0.9.6e/Makefile.ssl
> > > lrwx------ openssl/openssl      0 Jul 30 11:03 2002 openssl-
> > > 0.9.6e/apps/md4.c -> ../crypto/md4/md4.c
> > > -rw------- openssl/openssl   4772 Jul 30 11:06 2002 openssl-
> > > 0.9.6e/crypto/opensslconf.h
> > > drwx------ openssl/openssl      0 Jul 30 11:03 2002 openssl-
> > > 0.9.6e/include/openssl/
> > > lrwx------ openssl/openssl      0 Jul 30 11:03 2002 openssl-
> > > 0.9.6e/include/openssl/*
> > > lrwx------ openssl/openssl      0 Jul 30 11:03 2002 openssl-
> > > 0.9.6e/test/{various}
> >
> > A recursive find/chmod should fix that.
> > (Obviously, I checked out the source with my usual restrictive
> >  umask setting!?).
> > There should be a way to automatically correct this in the
> > "make dist" procedure.
> > I'll take care of this for the next release.
>
> I may have misunderstood, but isn't this only a problem if one
> unpacks the tarball with the p (preserve permissions) modifier?

Yes and no. Normally restrictive permissions inside the tarball are
kept when unpacking. With or without "p".

> Or is p a GNU-only option?
No, its a standard option.

I was thinking about adding something like
        #find . -type s -print | xargs rm -f
        find . -type d -print | xargs chmod 755
        find . -type f -print | xargs chmod a+r
to the "make dist".
This is from postfix, which removes softlinks when doing a "make tidy".
I have thus shown it here with "#" FYI, but I don't think this is handy
for us :-)

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/