In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:26:40
+0100 (MET), "Andy Polyakov via RT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

rt> > Current version,
rt> > openssl-0.9.7, does not support shared libraries on AIX platform.
rt>
rt> To <openssl-dev> mainly. How come did do_aix-shared deserve so special
rt> treatment? I mean SHAREDFLAGS being hardcoded directly in Makefile.org?
rt> Just wondering...

Well, that one is an experiment.  Someone suggested it for AIX "and
everything else", and I wrote comments on how I thought the different
variables should be defined on different platforms, and intended to do
more experiments with that later.  Well, I eventually did experiment,
resulting in Makefile.shared in 0.9.8-dev.  I haven't touched the
stuff in 0.9.7 because it supposedly worked...

rt> > I am sending you the changes
rt> > which allow to generate shared libraries for some cc compilers on AIX, namely,
"aix-cc"
rt>
rt> What's the idea behind "aix-cc?" It's a safety net for out-of-date AIX
rt> releases, which noone cared to test for a long time and probably never
rt> will. If you just tested both aix-cc and aix43-cc on the same machine,
rt> then we should refrain from modifying the aix-cc. Alternative is to
rt> rename aix-cc to aix-old-cc and aix43-cc to aix-cc and leave aix-old-cc
rt> alone...

aix-cc is a minimum safety net, that's correct.

rt> > and "aix43-cc".
rt>
rt> Could you test following? In a tree with proposed patch applied! Open
rt> Makefile.ssl with text editor, seek to do_aix-shared rule, modify
rt> "SHAREDFLAGS=${SHARED_LDFLAGS} -G -bE:lib$$i.exp -bM:SRE" above the rule
rt> as "SHAREDFLAGS=${SHARED_LDFLAGS} -G -bautoexp -bM:SRE". Finaly 'make
rt> clean' and 'make'. Does it build? I want to see if it's possible to get
rt> rid of that extra step which generates .exp file...

-bautoexp?  How long has that thing existed?  And we can't get rid of
it for the sake of older AIX that don't have autoexp...

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.