To detect if your HPUX 11.11 system is running in 64-bit mode, you simply
have to do the following:

# /usr/bin/file /stand/vmunix

You should get the following response if you are 64-bit.

/stand/vmunix:  ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64)

And you'll get the following if you are 32-bit:

/stand/vmunix:  PA-RISC1.1 executable -not stripped

So the section in the config shell script that needs to be modified (i
believe) is:

    HP-UX:*)
        HPUXVER=`echo ${RELEASE}|sed -e 's/[^.]*.[0B]*//'`
        case "$HPUXVER" in
            1[0-9].*)   # HPUX 10 and 11 targets are unified
                echo "${MACHINE}-hp-hpux10"; exit 0
                ;;
            *)
                echo "${MACHINE}-hp-hpux"; exit 0
                ;;
        esac
        ;;

It should be changed to detect 10.X systems separate from 11.X systems.
11.X systems break down to three different categories:

11.00
11.11
11.22

Each which you can check to see if it is running 32 or 64bit mode.

I am not familiar with the config sh script enough to modify it (i tried
but I broke it!), but I can provide whatever data is necessary from an
HPUX 11.11 64-bit system if someone wants to actually modify the config
sh.

Thanks,
v.

written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail for such purpose.

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <levitte
@stacken.kth.se>
Sent by: owner-openssl-users