Since the OpenSSL libraries are used by many other applications, it might
be appropriate for the Configure to build both 32 and 64 bit version of the libs.

This applies to more then just HP and more then just OPenSSL.

The configure should use the local systems naming/location conventions
for storing these libs.

Andy Polyakov via RT wrote:

> > rt> > Now, the really cool thing would be if someone (you?) could provide us
> > rt> > with some sh code that identifies 64bit HP/UX so we could set that up
> > rt> > in the script 'config'.
> > rt>
> > rt> ??? 'config' tells apart 32- and 64-bit HP/UX kernels since long time
> > rt> ago. Look for 'getconf KERNEL_BITS'.
> >
> > Oh?  So how come 64-bit people get a build that tries to go for
> > 32-bit?
>
> Because it defaults to 32-bit build and challenges user to manually
> invoke ./Configure hpux64-parisc2-cc if 64-bit build is required. The
> background for such decision is that most other programs using the
> toolkit, most notably apache and openssh, default to 32-bit build, at
> least did at that time. Keep in mind that 32-bit PARISC2 code is as fast
> as 64-bit, if not faster. A.

 Douglas E. Engert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue