On related note question is what prevents you from always using nasm? Or
rather do we actually need to support for metrowerks assembler?
Basically if there is one working configuration for netware, what do we
need second one for?
well, that wasnt my idea, but it was 'historically'. I guess The
Novell folks who did the initial OpenSSL port just started with the
Metrowerks Assembler since its part of the Compiler package, and
developers got this package delivered; probably also for debugging
reasons since Metrowerks CodeWarrior comes with an IDE with source-level
debugger; though at the moment I dont have that IDE installed, but use
commandline tools only which is far more flexible reagrding path
settings etc.

Is it possible to link object modules compiled with nasm with object modules compiled with codewarrior? It might appear as silly question, but I know nothing about netware, while it sounds like some of netware development environments are cross-compile...

Bottom line. I'd rather consider omitting metrowerks assembler support.
probably if there's no way to work around the issue; but currently it seems that only 2 out of the 13 asm files are
affected

It's not about amount, but rather about not willing to support something that is commonly tested. With nasm one can at least assume that it has same qualities on all platforms, and it's commonly tested on some other platform.

BTW. can you tell me for what the CPUID asm code is good for? Well, I
can imagine what it does, but I'm curious for what its used....

The module as whole is a placeholder for short subroutines which are impossible to implement in C and hard to classify. As of now only couple of functions are used, most notably one returning CPU capability bit vector. Its return value is saved upon program start-up and is used to choose for example SSE2 code path only on SSE2-capable CPU, etc. A.