I think there might be some distracting issues here. I tried this sample
makefile on some non-GNU makes, and at least one I found was unhappy with
two different elements of the sample, neither of which was $(Q)echo.

A current non-GNU version of make on Solaris handled the provided sample
Makefile just fine, and correctly managed the QUIET mode as intended.

But I found an old "make" from 1997 on a local Solaris system. It didn't
recognize the "ifeq" syntax for conditional logic in a makefile.
Interestingly, it reported an error on line 4, not line 3, which means it
saw the newline and bumped the line counter before reporting that it
couldn't deal with what it saw.

I removed the "ifeq" logic and left just a "Q:=@" line, and that same
"make" was unhappy with the := syntax for assigning to a Makefile
variable. (Yes, it's that old.)

When I changed this to "Q=@" the 12-year-old version of Solaris "make" was
happy: when it saw "$(Q)echo" it acted like it had seen "@echo" which is
what the Makefile writer intended.

What I'm saying is (1) you can't always trust line numbers of error
reports from "make" to be specific, and (2) your "make" program might not
be objecting to what you think it is, and (3) different people's "makes"
might work with or reject that input file differently.

-- Allan Pratt, apr...@us.ibm.com
Rational software division of IBM