From: owner-openssl-...@openssl.org [mailto:owner-openssl-...@openssl.org] On
Behalf Of Bodo Moeller
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:52 AM
To: openssl-dev@openssl.org
Subject: Re: Limiting EC curves in ClientHello

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Erik Tkal
<et...@juniper.net<mailto:et...@juniper.net>> wrote:
I looked around and found RFC 5430 - Suite B Profile for Transport Layer
Security (TLS), which states:

  RFC 4492 defines a variety of elliptic curves.  For cipher suites
  defined in this specification, only secp256r1(23) or secp384r1(24)
  may be used.  ...

  Clients desiring to negotiate only a Suite B compliant connection
  MUST generate a "Supported Elliptic Curves Extension" containing only
  the allowed curves.

So does this mean that OpenSSL will not support RFC 5430 / Suite B in 1.0.1?

RFC 5430 specifies that "A Suite B compliant TLS server MUST be configured to
support the 128-bit security level, the 192-bit security level, or both
security levels." OpenSSL can be configured for the 128-bit security level
(using secp256r1) or for the 192-bit security level (using secp384r1), but it
currently can't be configured to cleanly support both. (The section from which
you quoted also says that "Clients that are willing to do both Suite B
compliant and non-Suite B compliant connections MAY omit the extension or send
the extension but offer other curves as well as the appropriate Suite B ones."
I don't think that supporting Suite B means that you can't also allow non-Suite
B compliant connections, with clients that don't support Suite B.)

So without having checked all of the formal requirements, I think that OpenSSL
1.0.1 will support Suite B as specified by RFC 5430, even though there's not
yet a good way to enable two or more explicitly chosen elliptic curves while
disabling all the others.

Bodo