Brad,

This patchset is against OpenSSL 1.0.1c.

Whatever we will do, will apply to HEAD and optionally 1.0.2. 1.0.1 is closed for new features, including new platforms, and linux-generic32 is the one that serves MIPS there.

It does 2 things very minor things.

First, it adds a linux-mipsel target to Configure.

What's your target more specifically? You mention 4ksd in commentary, is it it? Do you have something else? The thing about linux-mips is that [as far as I understand] there are n32 dists, and n32 allows for much faster bignum and sha512 assembler. I don't know if there is 64-bit linux for MIPS, but it makes sense to reserve at least for "plain" o32 and n32. Latter can run on processors compliant with mips3, mips4, mips64 and mips64r2 specifications.

As for 4ksd. It appears to be mips32r2 processor, and even with SmartMIPS ASE. Actually on r2 compiler has all chances to beat currently available assembler, if it recognizes rotates and deploys rotate instruction. I have r2 code, and wonder if you can test and benchmark it. SmartMIPS extension offers improved support for bignum and polynomial multiplication, but I have no code for it.

Second, it fixes the MIPS perlasm, it appears as though at some point
AES_set_encrypt_key and AES_set_decrypt_key in the ASM needed to be
renamed to private_AES_set_encrypt_key and private_AES_set_decrypt_key,
respectively and MIPS got missed.

This was recently fixed.