Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my openSSL version on RHEL5. WHen I tried to update
it using yum commad (it kept pausing with the messages - No packages marked
for update) I found out that this was not installed from the source but was
present along with RHEL in the /usr directory. Following are some helpful
commands to give you an idea of the machine and openSSL I am using

1. yum search openSSL

Loaded plugins: downloadonly, replace, rhnplugin, security
 This system is receiving updates from RHN Classic or RHN Satellite.
 drivesrvr

                                                   |    951 B
00:00
 rhel-raxmon

                                                  |    951 B     00:00
 Excluding Packages from Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 for 64-bit x86_64)
 Finished
Matched: openssl
easy-rsa.noarch : Simple shell based CA utility
globus-gsi-openssl-error.i386 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL Error Handling
globus-gsi-openssl-error.x86_64 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL Error Handling
globus-gsi-openssl-error-devel.i386 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL
Error Handling        Development Files
globus-gsi-openssl-error-devel.x86_64 : Globus Toolkit - Globus
OpenSSL Error Handling Development Files
globus-gsi-openssl-error-doc.x86_64 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL
Error Handling Documentation Files
globus-openssl-module.i386 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL Module Wrapper
globus-openssl-module.x86_64 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL Module Wrapper
globus-openssl-module-devel.i386 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL
Module Wrapper Development Files
globus-openssl-module-devel.x86_64 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL
Module Wrapper Development Files
globus-openssl-module-doc.x86_64 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL
Module Wrapper Documentation Files
globus-openssl-module-progs.x86_64 : Globus Toolkit - Globus OpenSSL
Module Wrapper Programs
libssh.i386 : A library implementing the SSH2 protocol (0xbadc0de version)
 libssh.x86_64 : A library implementing the SSH2 protocol (0xbadc0de version)
 lua-sec.x86_64 : Lua binding for OpenSSL library
 m2crypto.x86_64 : Support for using OpenSSL in python scripts
 mingw32-openssl.noarch : MinGW port of the OpenSSL toolkit
 openscada-Transport-SSL.x86_64 : Open SCADA transports
 openssl.i686 : The OpenSSL toolkit
 openssl.x86_64 : The OpenSSL toolkit
 openssl-devel.i386 : Files for development of applications which will
use OpenSSL
 openssl-devel.x86_64 : Files for development of applications which
will use OpenSSL
 openssl-perl.x86_64 : Perl scripts provided with OpenSSL
 openssl097a.i386 : The OpenSSL toolkit
 openssl097a.x86_64 : The OpenSSL toolkit
 openvpn.x86_64 : A full-featured SSL VPN solution
 perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-AES.x86_64 : Perl interface to OpenSSL for AES
 perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-Bignum.x86_64 : Perl interface to OpenSSL for Bignum
 perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-DSA.x86_64 : Perl interface to OpenSSL for DSA
 perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-RSA.x86_64 : Perl interface to OpenSSL for RSA
 perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-Random.x86_64 : Perl interface to OpenSSL for Random
 perl-Crypt-OpenSSL-X509.x86_64 : Perl interface to OpenSSL for X509
 perl-Crypt-SMIME.x86_64 : S/MIME message signing, verification,
encryption and  decryption
 perl-Crypt-SSLeay.x86_64 : Crypt::SSLeay - OpenSSL glue that provides
LWP https support
 perl-Net-SSLeay.x86_64 : Perl extension for using OpenSSL
 pkcs11-helper.i386 : A library for using PKCS#11 providers
 pkcs11-helper.x86_64 : A library for using PKCS#11 providers
 pyOpenSSL.x86_64 : Python wrapper module around the OpenSSL library
 python-socksipychain.noarch : A Python SOCKS/HTTP Proxy module
 python26-m2crypto.x86_64 : Support for using OpenSSL in python 2.6 scripts
 tomcat-native.x86_64 : Tomcat native library
 tomcatjss.noarch : JSSE implementation using JSS for Tomcat
 xmlsec1.i386 : Library providing support for "XML Signature" and "XML
Encryption"  standards
 xmlsec1.x86_64 : Library providing support for "XML Signature" and
"XML Encryption" standards
 xmlsec1-openssl.i386 : OpenSSL crypto plugin for XML Security Library
 xmlsec1-openssl.x86_64 : OpenSSL crypto plugin for XML Security Library
 xmlsec1-openssl-devel.i386 : OpenSSL crypto plugin for XML Security Library
 xmlsec1-openssl-devel.x86_64 : OpenSSL crypto plugin for XML Security Library

2. yum info openssl-devel

Loaded plugins: downloadonly, replace, rhnplugin, security
This system is receiving updates from RHN Classic or RHN Satellite.
drivesrvr

                                                 |      951 B
00:00
rh el-raxmon

                                                  |      951 B
00:00
 Excluding Packages from Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 for 64-bit x86_64)
 Finished
 Installed Packages
 Name       : openssl-devel
 Arch       : x86_64
 Version    : 0.9.8e
 Release    : 27.el5_10.1
 Size       : 5.1 M
 Repo       : installed
 Summary    : Files for development of applications which will use OpenSSL
 URL        : http://www.openssl.org/
 License    : BSDish
openssl-devel
            : package contains static libraries and include files
needed to develop
            : applications which support various cryptographic algorithms and
            : protocols.

 Available Packages
 Name       : openssl-devel
 Arch       : i386
 Version    : 0.9.8e
 Release    : 27.el5_10.1
 Size       : 1.9 M
 Repo       : rhel-x86_64-server-5
 Summary    : Files for development of applications which will use OpenSSL
 License    : BSDish
openssl-devel
            : package contains static libraries and include files
needed to develop
            : applications which support various cryptographic algorithms and
            : protocols.

How can I upgrade from 0.98e version to the latest one without using yum
from  the source? Should I replace this installation?

--
Thanks,
Shruti Palshikar