Personnally,
and although I am not at all a M$ fan, really not at all,
I would not consider XP or any win32-like platform since XP as "outdated",
as, finally, what openssl needs from the platform ?
some standard-C lib, bsd-like sockets, and some (a very few) posix services or equivalents.

Some things that, for example, even Windows CE 5.0 is providing (and I will again send a quite small patch to have full support of WCE 5/ WM6 in the near future).

Since 1995, winsock2 and CRT lib or MT lib are quite stable on win32 platforms: so I would not see any reason to support, eg, w8 and not XP.

Openssl is not even (certified as) MT-safe...while it could be (with some code adaptation), even on win32 platforms (that offer more or less all the minimum services for that, as in unices/linuxes).

And when I see the very big list of supported platforms with vms or obscure unices flavors, I would not understand that win32 platforms since XP be claimed as outdated or unsupported.

I would add that, of course, openssl is even more needed on platforms that are lacking security support by their own manufacturers.

But it is not because a platform is not "officially supported" by M$ or any other manufacturer, that it is outdated (I mean : "unused in the real world"), it is (or should be) just ....the contrary : it is because something is never used any more anywhere that it can be considered as outdated...and then may not need anymore support... I would add that, in very particular cases, some platform that are rarely used, may still be supported by openssl team, or at least community, just for the memory of the project and the maintaining of some skills...and the consistency of the code :

going to un-support some platform SHOULD lead to REMOVE some code : this can dangeroulsy have many side effects...

I appreciate that Rich Salz is deeply diving into old RT patches or bug reports,
and we have all to help in that sense:
but removing bug reports from the RT-list is one thing,
removing any #ifdef in the code and/or "official" support for some platform is another thing that I would not recommend before old RT-reports (> 5 years) have been cleared/clarified by Rich and others.

I would add a probably very stupid question : as I mentioned earlier, openssl is "just" using very common services from the platform (compilation platform + runtime platform), that are very common on many platforms for years, so that I do not clearly understand why openssl team supports so many versions of openssl : 0.9.8 1.0.0 1.0.1 1.0.2 1.1.x ...a to z...(fips is something else I know that...)

Is there any runtime platform that can run 0.9.8 without being able to run 1.0.2 ?...strange to me.

For me this sounds more dispersive than platform support.

What I mean is that I would better understand devteam to "push" people to use only the latest or last two versions of openssl,
rather than pushing some platform out of support, out of the code...

...unless...openssl team receives funds to maintain such 0.9.x versions by some "customers", something that I can understand.

Regards
Pierre