On 08/13/2014 03:46 AM, Vyronas Tsingaras wrote:

> If you could also take a look at https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/111
> we have listed a number of reasons. What are your thoughts on this?

I agree with the reasoning given there.  In particular, one
point that I left as an open question in my original post is
now persuasively answered.

      I apologize for not finding that item earlier.
      I did look;  I just missed it somehow.

To summarize my current understanding:

  1) The pattern /foo.bar/ should match "foo.bar" and nothing
   else.  It is not a wildcard.

  2) The pattern /.foo.bar/ is a wildcard that should match
   any left-extension, including "a.foo.bar", "a.b.foo.bar",
   et cetera ... but not "foo.bar" itself.

  3) If somebody wants to match both, they can include both
   on the list.

  4) AFAICT this is nice and logical and consistent with what
   users expect and what other SSL implemenations are doing.
   The argument is strong for the permission list, and even
   stronger for the exclusion list.

  5) Here is the only counterargument I can see:  enforcing
   the non-wildcard requirement (item 1 above) will break
   applications that are relying on the current undocumented
   behavior as implemented in v3_ncons.c in openssl-1.0.1i.

   Therefore I suggest a transition strategy, as follows:

  6) We would rather not have a situation where a given cert
   does one thing on some versions of openssl and different
   things on other versions (and on competing products).  Here
   is a possible way to survive the transition:  We could
   carefully and conspicuously document the following:
      Anybody who can tolerate matching foo.com and all of
      its subdomains should include both /foo.com/ and
      /.foo.com/ on the list.  This covers the most common
      use-case.  Anybody who wants this behavior should issue
      the appropriate cert ASAP, before the openssl update
      goes out.
   Note that anybody who wants to permit the subdomains but
   not foo.com itself has a problem until openssl gets fixed.
   The current code provides no way to exclude foo.com without
   excluding all the subdomains.  I see no workaround for this.
   AFAICT the only fix is to patch the openssl code.

 I will rewrite my patch code accordingly.  It will take me a
 little while to do this and test it.