On 08/22/2014 12:26 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
> It'd be good to fix this.

Behold a patch that seems to fix it:
  https://www.av8n.com/openssl/bypass-bugfix.diff

The code seems pretty straightforward to me, but on the
other hand, I have very little experience coding in the
openssl environment, so I might be overlooking something.
Somebody should check this pretty closely.

A simple way to exhibit the bug (and the fix) as follows:

Desired behavior:
  openssl verify -CAfile av8n-root-ca-cert.pem bypass.jdenker.com-cert.pem
  bypass.jdenker.com-cert.pem: C = US, CN = bypass.jdenker.com
  error 47 at 0 depth lookup:permitted subtree violation

Observed (unfixed) behavior:
  openssl verify -CAfile av8n-root-ca-cert.pem bypass.jdenker.com-cert.pem
  bypass.jdenker.com-cert.pem: OK
which is a security lapse.

The demonstration certs can be found at:
  https://www.av8n.com/openssl/av8n-root-ca-cert.pem
  https://www.av8n.com/openssl/bypass.jdenker.com-cert.pem