As announced on the openssl-testing list, I'm happy to report early,
promising success in my Makefile refactoring experiment. Here's the
short link to the Google Doc containing all of the details:

http://goo.gl/yhvCno

Feedback welcome. Regardless of the ultimate judgment of the
experiment, I'm hoping to build upon this report and produce a
published article.

Questions:

- Do these results provide acceptable justification for adopting this
structure? (With the understanding that I may have to redo bits, of
course.)

- Provided the answer to the first question is "yes", should I do
whatever necessary to support BSD make, or will establishing GNU make
as a build requirement be acceptable?

Thanks,

Mike