On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL
<u...@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
> On 8/26/16, 17:04, "openssl-dev on behalf of Andy Polyakov"
> <openssl-dev-boun...@openssl.org on behalf of ap...@openssl.org> wrote:
>
>>So suggestion is to impose /arch:ia32 on all users. Well, I personally
>>have lesser problem with that (as most most performance-critical
>>assembly code paths will be compiled anyway, processor capabilities
>>detected at run-time, and inappropriate paths will be avoided), but I'm
>>not sure if all users would appreciate it.
>
> Normally I don’t use Windows, so shouldn’t care. However, as occasionally
> I do stumble across a Windows system - I’d *much* dislike being stuck with
> /arch:ia32.
>
> 20 years ago I might have had a different opinion. ;)
>

>> Note that it's possible to
>>set CL environment variable to add options of your preference without
>>modifying anything.
>
> And that’s probably what the requester should do, IMHO.
>
>>Maybe that would be more adequate option to
>>customize builds for specific needs. In worst case it would be
>>appropriate to tie this option to no-sse2 configuration option, but not
>>unconditionally...
>
> Maybe…

I certainly agree for most modern users it is not needed and may slow
down the code since it is not using the latest and greatest.

How about something like this.. A VC-WIN32-XP target that has
everything needed to make a max compatibility target
When building under VS2012 and above.. (I also tested in VS2015)
adds CFLAGS  /arch:IA32 -D_USING_V110_SDK71_
adds BIN_LDFLAGS=/subsystem:console,5.01 /opt:ref

And before you scream OMG XP..
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifewinembed
- Windows Embedded Standard 2009. This product is an updated release
of the toolkit and componentized version of Windows XP. It was
originally released in 2008; and Extended Support will end on January
8, 2019.
- Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. This product for Point of Sale
devices reflects the updates available in Windows Embedded Standard
2009. It was originally released on 2009, and extended support will
end on April 9, 2019.

People just don't want to upgrade these embedded machines, but we want
to keep the communications between them as secure as possible with the
latest and greatest OpenSSL. :P