On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Andy Polyakov <ap...@openssl.org> wrote:
>> How about something like this.. A VC-WIN32-XP target that has
>> everything needed to make a max compatibility target
>> When building under VS2012 and above.. (I also tested in VS2015)
>> adds CFLAGS  /arch:IA32 -D_USING_V110_SDK71_
>> adds BIN_LDFLAGS=/subsystem:console,5.01 /opt:ref
>
> How about
>
> set CL=/arch:ia32
> set LINK=/subsysten:console,5.00
>
> Why this is inappropriate? Have another compiler version? Just adjust
> appropriately. Microsoft changes something? Just adjust appropriately.
> You *are* in control.

It's not inappropriate at all. I just wanted to help people that may
want that compatibility and don't know what flags to use. It would not
be an uncommon configuration right now, but it is becoming more
uncommon every day. I'll submit a patch and if it is rejected so be
it. I spent way more time then I wanted to figuring out why it would
not run on the AMD Geode processor and then how to get it working in
XP and wanted to make it easier for others.

Thank you all for the feedback!
-Scott Ware