> Cannot load /usr/local/apache_test/libexec/libssl.so into server

Have you verified that the usual symbolic links exist?

    /usr/local/apache_test/libexec/libssl.so -> libssl.so.0
    /usr/local/apache_test/libexec/libssl.so.0 -> libssl.so.0.9.6

and that the actual file is readable, non-empty, etc.?

> Where does the system search for libssl.so.0.9.6?

Whereever it's told to. :-)  Linux uses ld.so.conf; I don't recall
what Solaris uses for the same purpose.

But the error message suggests that it's looking in the right
place, but some symbolic links are missing.