on 2/1/02 2:22 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] purportedly said:

>> Cannot load /usr/local/apache_test/libexec/libssl.so into server
>
> Have you verified that the usual symbolic links exist?
>
> /usr/local/apache_test/libexec/libssl.so -> libssl.so.0
> /usr/local/apache_test/libexec/libssl.so.0 -> libssl.so.0.9.6
>
> and that the actual file is readable, non-empty, etc.?
>
>> Where does the system search for libssl.so.0.9.6?
>
> Whereever it's told to. :-)  Linux uses ld.so.conf; I don't recall
> what Solaris uses for the same purpose.
>
> But the error message suggests that it's looking in the right
> place, but some symbolic links are missing.

Actually, this is a confusing issue with mod_ssl. Mod_ssl creates its own
dso for Apache, which it happen to call "libssl.so". This is not the same as
or has any relation to (besides possibly loading) the openssl shared library
by the same name.

If the mod_ssl dso exists in the required location, there was a problem with
the compile, and there should be more log entries describing why it can't be
loaded.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.