On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 09:43:57PM -0600, Kenneth R. Robinette wrote:
> Then the Microsoft Explorer will pop up a dialog box giving you the choice
> to save or open.  If you pick open, and have the .crl file type with the
> open action I described, the

But all this isn't an option. Seriously, users can't be expected to run
command-line tools or change file options in order to know whether a cert is
valid or not...

I have got some ways to a solution: I have found that if I changed
assosiating .crl files with "application/pkix-crl" to
"application/x-x509-crl" instead, both IE and Mozilla recognise it as a CRL.
However, if I click on the .crl file within IE (or save to desktop and
double-click), it brings up a read-only
view of the CRL - i.e. it doesn't import it. At the same time, Outlook still
claims the CRL is invalid - even though it is downloading it (I'd guess it
has the same problem IE does as Outlook uses IE libraries). However, if I
save the .crl to the desktop and then enter the Cert Wizard in IE and import
it, then it imports correctly, and Outlook then claims that everything is OK.

So the 1M question remains: how does Outlook do CRLs? Anyone else come
across this? Users cannot be expected to have to manually handle their CRLs
- this must be a config issue for me... :-(

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417