I have Apache 2.50.0 with the mod_ssl enabled on an AIX 5.1
machine. I compiled openssl-0.9.7d with the gcc compiler.  When I first
installed the key, I wanted to create it with no passphrase, but it said I
needed a minimum of 4 characters.  When I now try to reset it with the command

# /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl rsa -in server.bak -out server.key
Enter pass phrase for server.bak:
21202:error:28069065:lib(40):UI_set_result:result too small:ui_lib.c:847:You
must type in 4 to 4095 characters

Is there an option that is set somewhere in openssl that requires the minimum 4
characters that can be turned off to allow a null passphrase?

Add "-nodes" => openssl -in keywithpass.pem -out keynopass.pem -nodes

Oliver