Hi,
   I sent a query last week about removing a passphrase from an Apache server I
have set up with openssl-0.9.7d and compiled with the gcc compiler. I thought
I'd provide a little more information.  When I try to remove the passphrase,
it says I need a minimum of 4 characters in the passphrase.  Is this
something in this version of openssl, as I don't remember having this
requirement with earlier versions?  I generated the key with

$openssl genrsa -des3 -rand randfile1:randfile2:randfile3 1024 > \
/usr/local/apache2/conf/ssl.key/server.key

I made a copy of server.key to server.bak and then tried the following command
to redo the passphrase and get the following:

# /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl rsa -in server.bak -out server.key
Enter pass phrase for server.bak:
21202:error:28069065:lib(40):UI_set_result:result too small:ui_lib.c:847:You
must type in 4 to 4095 characters

Is there a way around this?

                                 Joe DeBattista
                                 UCSF, ITS